Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Top 3 Youth Ministry Books

If you scroll down and look to the left side of this blog, you'll see a list of youth ministry books I love. I am a book nerd by nature and I especially enjoy reading about youth ministry. Thus, picking a top 3 was very painful, but here you go!

1. "Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right" -Doug Fields

If I could recommend one book for youth ministers, this would be it. It is incredibly practical and extremely well written. I've been in youth ministry for 12 years and I continue to re-read it. The chapters on discouragement and dealing with difficult people are especially helpful.



2. "Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry" -Kenda Creasy Dean

This book made me fall in love with youth ministry again at a time when I was discouraged. The book challenges us to rethink our roles as youth ministers. The goal of student ministry is not to direct programs, but to pastor students. The goal is not big numbers, but sanctification.


3. "Sticky Faith: Practical Ideas to Nurture Long-Term Faith in Teenagers" -Kara Powell and Brad Griffin

This book provides an enormous amount of research, but also includes very practical ideas to help youth ministries. The authors present youth workers with a theological/philosophical framework and programming ideas that develop long-term faith in teenagers.